Do not Wait For Everyone Else to Do It! A quick look at why Americans and people of the world for that matter must start using recyclable grocery shopping bags. A look at the true horror that is specifically related to paper and plastic bags, and why we all need to act now to do our part in saving the environment by eliminating the use of paper and plastic bags.
1) A plastic bag takes 450 years to decompose.
2) Production of paper bags causes 70% more pollution than plastic.
3) When the Plastic "photo degrades" it ends up in our oceans. Incidentally, it seems like plankton and then consumed by fish. Fish meal, and the wind at your dinner table.
4) The method for making paper bags starting with 1 part pulp, 400 parts of water.
5) Recycling of plastics emits heavy metals into the air causing air pollution.
6) The average person will use more than 350 bags in one year!
7) In New York City, one less grocery bag per person would reduce waste by 5 million pounds and save $ 250,000 in disposal costs.
9) Reusable bags store 700+ bags during their life span!
10) if we spread the word about the importance of reusing our shopping bags, work together, and somehow this movement catches on, the end to benefit the Earth would be great! We are talking millions of gallons of freshwater saved, millions of gallons of fuel saved, and hundreds of thousands of acres of forest land saved every year!