Prepare Your Pets for Halloween

Share This Post

Relieving Stressed-Out Pets

Exercise: If your pet does get stressed out by the festivities of the evening, use the following tips to reduce anxiety and help keep them calm.

Play: Exercise your pets early in the day. The more tired out they are when night falls and trick-or-treaters start showing up at your door, the more likely they will be to remain settled down throughout the night.

Stay Calm: Distract your pet with a new game or chew toy. They will quickly start to focus on their treat so intently that they will forget about the commotion around them.

Pets are very perceptive. Teach your pets that Halloween is nothing to be stressed out about by speaking in a low volume and remaining calm and in control — you’ll likely see that they quickly follow suit.

Want to Know More?

If you have questions about how to keep your pet safe on Halloween or calm them down when distressed, contact us today at petnailexpert.com. We can help provide information about the safest techniques for each individual pet and how to best prepare your pet for the upcoming holiday.

With Halloween right around the corner, this means that the streets will be filled with loud noises, new faces and all manner of things that can stress out your four-legged friends.

Halloween Safety Tips for Pets

Thankfully, you can prepare yourself — and your pets — for the big night with the following simple safety tips.

Hide the Candy

When ingested, candy, sugar and chocolate, in all forms, can be dangerous for your pets. Nowadays, most candy also contains artificial sweeteners, such as xylitol, that your pets are unable to digest properly.

That’s why it is important to keep your Halloween candy away from your pets and avoid storing it anywhere your pets could easily or accidentally find (and eat) it.

Candies wrapped with plastic or lollipops can also be a severe choking hazard for pets, large or small. Swallowing candy wrappers or similar foreign bodies can cause an obstruction in your pet’s digestive system that is both expensive and painful to remove.

If you believe your pet has eaten candy or chocolate, contact us at petnailexpert.com or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.